Why have a carved pumpkin when you can have a prawn stuffed one instead.
- 1 medium sized pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g of Jack Hook Seafood's large king prawns. Peel and clean. Alternatively you could use our ready cleaned and peeled prawns
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 cup cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
2) Thoroughly wash the pumpkin and cut off the top. Scoop out the flesh and remove all seeds.
3) Wrap the pumpkin in foil and place onto a baking tray, cut-off side down. Thereafter bake for about 40-50 minutes, until it is nearly soft.
4) Remove pumpkin from the oven, unwrap foil and set aside.
5) Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium heat.
6) Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
7) Add garlic and chopped jalapeño, cook for 3-4 minutes.
8) Add prawns to the pan and continue cooking for another minute.
9) Add chopped fresh tomatoes.
10) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11) Allow all the ingredients to cook, stirring occasionally until tomatoes are soft for approximately 5 minutes.
12) Remove from heat and add fresh coriander, and set aside.
13) With a spoon, spread the cream cheese inside the pumpkin, covering the inside area.
14) Pour prawn stew into the pumpkin and return to the oven.
15) Bake for another 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and pumpkin becomes soft inside.
16) Remove from oven, sprinkle some more fresh coriander on top.
Serve warm with white rice.